Vegan Avgolemono for starters! This vegan variation of the traditional Greek Lemon Soupwill become a delightful favourite. It is nutritional and easy to prepare. The whole wheat orzo and chick peas turn this into a heart-warming and healthy meal to share.
- Large Pot
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil Extra Virgin
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Celery Stalks finely chopped
- 2 Large Carrots finely chopped
- 6 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Orzo or Rissoni if Orzo isn't available
- 2 cups Check Peas
- 1 handful of Fresh Spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh Dill
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 1/2 cup Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot, sauté onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil over a low heat for 7 mins, add garlic and sauté for another 3 mins. Stirring occasionally until vegetables are translucent.
- Add vegetable stock, and bring to the boil. Once boiled lower heat and add orzo and chickpeas. Cover with lid and cook at entle boil for around 8 mins or until orzo is tender.
- Remove from heat, add tahini and slowly stir in lemon juice. Stir in spinach, and add dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour soup into serving bowls, garnish with extra dill and lemon zest, then serve.